Votes

SUU students go rappelling

Nathan St. Andre, a junior biology major from South Jordan, rappels in Yankee Doodle Canyon. Photo by Keith Howells.

A group of seven SUU students took a trip through the narrows and down the cliffs of Yankee Doodle Canyon on Saturday as a part of the SUU Outdoor Summer Kickoff.

The group, led by University Journal Outside Editor Keith Howells, left campus at 9 a.m. and made it to Yankee Doodle, even after getting a flat tire.

After changing the tire and gearing up in proper footwear and helmets, the group listened as Howells gave a short safety-briefing before they hiked 50 yards to the first of two cliffs they would rappel down that day.

Brianna Wolfe, a senior marketing major from Springville, said it was her first time rappelling with a harness, but not her first time using a rope to get down a cliff.

Wolfe said she and her fiance, who writes a blog about southern Utah hiking, ran into a tight spot a couple of months ago while they were hiking.

“We were hiking in Cathedral Gorge and found this random rope we decided to trust, and that was pretty scary,” she said. “This time was more fun than scary because I knew I was harnessed and I wasn’t going to die.”

Brandon Jensen, a senior outdoor recreation in parks and tourism major from Gunnison with a wilderness first responder certification, went along with the group in case anyone hurt themselves during the rappel or the climb down the canyon.

“(The certification) is basically on par with an EMT certification,” Jensen said. “Luckily, I’ve never had to use it on one of these trips except for little cuts or blisters or sprained ankles.”

Jensen said he has spent a lot of time canyoneering and enjoys being outdoors.

“I go canyoneering when I can,” he said. “I am thinking of taking my degree in a medical direction and becoming a part of search and rescue.”

After the group completed their second rappel, which was longer than the first, the rest of the hike consisted mostly of shimmying down cracks and climbing sandstone walls, Jensen said.

Howells said canyoneering is probably the best way to see the outdoors, but it is also “the most awkward way to get through a canyon,” because much of the time is spent “stemming.”

Stemming is a process where the hiker presses their back against one side of the narrow canyon and braces their feet against the other while suspended over a drop, Howells said. The hiker scoots along the narrow canyon until they get close enough to the ground to jump without injury, he said.

“It’s a great way to keep from getting wet if there is water in the canyon,” Howells said.

There are some places where, water or not, stemming is the only way to get down a drop off, unless jumping 10 to 20 feet is appealing, he said.

Shortly after noon, the group took a lunch break, where they made a tiny friend, one of the canyon-dwelling caterpillars.

Brittney Worthen, a senior outdoor recreation in parks and tourism major from Midvale, said she gave the caterpillar part of her apple, which he seemed to enjoy almost too much.

“I’ve never seen a caterpillar so happy in all my life,” Worthen said.

After eating the apple, the caterpillar moved at super-speed, likely hopped up on all the sugar since it was only used to eating leaves, she said.

“And little did I know, it had diabetes ...” she joked.

Worthen said she takes every opportunity she can to get outdoors and go canyoneering or hiking and is even planning to start a veteran’s outdoor recreation program at SUU since she is a veteran.

Anyone interested in going on hikes or other outdoor activities can find sign-up sheets for many activities at the Harry Reid Outdoor Engagement Center. Students can also rent equipment for most outdoor activities at SUU Outdoors in the Sharwan Smith Center.

Comments

alikhann 2 months, 1 week ago

Camping is simplest way to experience a natural sight-seeing opportunities of Kenya. A lot of camps will be sited around private preservation areas, when walking plus night moves are established. In any safari, visitors are along with staff affiliates who help in various domains. Twitter

alikhann 2 months ago

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.  xmas gifts

alikhann 2 months ago

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. www.nationaldebtreliefreviews.com

alexnewman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Come up with a great deal more articles or reviews using this question an individual has a truly good option to make sure you strongly encourage writters. jobs in Lagos

alexnewman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Your blog extremely good, premium job... Read countless could consider my family regardless if they never take the time to inform you of. does vitapulse work?

alexnewman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blogs. garcinia cambogia prices

alikhann 1 month, 3 weeks ago

There are several dissertation internet sites on-line because you get evidently reported as part of your web site.  stock price alerts

alikhann 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the information and clarification about the identical houses. While I was reading the post I thought they might be haunted, but its nothing of that sort, thanks to your explanation organic total body reboot review

alikhann 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I appreciate your comments.  Instead of complaints, I feel you sounded realistic.  An enjoyable profession, that like any other, has it's stressful times purathrive organic turmeric extract review

GinaFletcher 1 month, 2 weeks ago

We have been in search of this kind of intriguing facts, get intriguing info at Locksmith Services Irvine intended for specialist providers.

alikhann 1 month, 1 week ago

That can job short-term, however , it’s no possible long-term choice meant for individuals who want to get the real key an individual exceptional girlfriend these can’t avoid wondering about. Pregnancy Strong

alikhann 1 month, 1 week ago

Checking any blog may make others just want to come up with a greater number of. I did a fabulous which i was first lovely content by means of. The software most likely conducted for the tier still it’s exceptional. http://bevhillsmdreviews.co/beverly-hills-md-crepe-correcting-body-complex-review

alikhann 1 month, 1 week ago

That can job short-term, however , it’s no possible long-term choice meant for individuals who want to get the real key an individual exceptional girlfriend these can’t avoid wondering about. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cogniflex-reviewed-healthy-nutritions-secret-195900546.html

leslielittle1 1 month ago

CullenDTran 1 month ago

teddyrnevers 2 weeks, 6 days ago

All square measure here to share their fascinating informations, see such additional at Locksmith NYC.

amythomas 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Get some good exciting in addition to professional products and services you will come to Locksmith Flushing.

RickieAMendoza 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Obtaining these kinds of intriguing details is designed for all, get more here at Locksmith Temecula.

lisajsantos 2 weeks ago

All square measure here to share their fascinating informations, see such additional at 24Hr Locksmith Near Me.

JamieRembert 2 weeks ago

All square measure here to share their fascinating informations, see such additional at Locksmiths Near Me.

JoyceStoinise 2 weeks ago

We are not really fan associated with reading through yet it is excellent for getting knowledgeable, notice much more intriguing stuffs on Flushing Locksmith Services.

DellSeo 1 week, 3 days ago

They will also have to overcome their fears of failure and getting it wrong. So why don’t you try something in your next session that builds confidence with your participants. So go on - Have a Go!Mr. Pikia of AOTEAROA INC LTD

DellSeo 1 week, 2 days ago

We take a look at what the physical and emotional causes might be, and offer some practical tips to help you stay calm and deal with the situation.Loft conversion extensions london

DellSeo 1 week, 2 days ago

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.Pumbing services london

DellSeo 1 week, 2 days ago

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work boom beach hack tool no survey

alikhann 1 week, 2 days ago

Checking any blog may make others just want to come up with a greater number of. I did a fabulous which i was first lovely content by means of. The software most likely conducted for the tier still it’s exceptional. I often dispatch you yoga burn system review

DellSeo 1 week, 2 days ago

You might discover that some tasks can be deleted from your list forever. Remember that after some time off, you’ll feel refreshed and ready to tackle projects with a new approach.Notting hill gate

HarlanJCampbell 1 week, 1 day ago

Its smart to share such a pleasant lines with of these folks, thanks from Garage Door Repair in Pembroke Pines.

HarlanJCampbell 1 week ago

Getting such attention-grabbing info is nice for all, get a lot of here at Hialeah Garage Door Repair Experts.

HarlanJCampbell 1 week ago

Its smart to share such a pleasant lines with of these folks, thanks from Garage Door Repair Pompano Beach.

HarlanJCampbell 1 week ago

Getting such attention-grabbing info is nice for all, get a lot of here at Garage Door Repair Pompano Beach.

carissa30 1 week ago

Good composed article. It will be steady to any individual who uses it, including me. Continue doing what you are doing – can'r hold up to peruse more posts. cccam server

HarlanJCampbell 6 days, 19 hours ago

Good content is vital pertaining to followers to obtain drawn aimed at your website pertaining to really good content, get some good more right here by Garage Door Repair Miami Gardens FL.

azamjee 6 days, 18 hours ago

This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! ConnectRetarget Review

HarlanJCampbell 6 days, 16 hours ago

Without a doubt, it is beneficial data a person discussed, cheers for giving, find some good exclusive solutions at Garage Door Repair Miami Gardens FL with excellent restore.

HarlanJCampbell 5 days, 21 hours ago

Good content is vital pertaining to followers to obtain drawn aimed at your website pertaining to really good content, get some good more right here by Pompano Beach Garage Door Repair Company.

HarlanJCampbell 5 days, 18 hours ago

Without a doubt, it is beneficial data a person discussed, cheers for giving, find some good exclusive solutions at Garage Door Miami Gardens with excellent restore.

DellSeo 3 days, 15 hours ago

I was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. The writing style is superior and the content is relevant. Thanks for the insight you provide the readers free credit report gov

alikhann 2 days, 14 hours ago

As i definitely learn about your internet-site designed for running testing and As i definitely at this point visited believe for that reason asked. As i definitely seemed to be for sale an activity to attempt ones own for one's extraordinary making crafts industry and Pics steering clear of them all. It's possible that at this point, aided by the outlook you'll gifted many people, I most certainly will give it a shot. http://healthyusa.co/nucific-bio-x4

carissa30 2 days, 10 hours ago

Pleasant to be going by your web journal again, it has been months for me. Well this article ive been sat tight for consequently long. i need this article to complete my task inside of the staff, and it has same subject together with your article. Much obliged, pleasant offer. loft conversions london

carissa30 1 day, 12 hours ago

Decent post. I was checking continually this website and I'm awed! Greatly valuable data exceptionally the last part I nurture such data a considerable measure. I was looking for this sure information for quite a while. Much obliged to you and good fortunes. loft conversions london