Votes

SUU students go rappelling

Nathan St. Andre, a junior biology major from South Jordan, rappels in Yankee Doodle Canyon. Photo by Keith Howells.

A group of seven SUU students took a trip through the narrows and down the cliffs of Yankee Doodle Canyon on Saturday as a part of the SUU Outdoor Summer Kickoff.

The group, led by University Journal Outside Editor Keith Howells, left campus at 9 a.m. and made it to Yankee Doodle, even after getting a flat tire.

After changing the tire and gearing up in proper footwear and helmets, the group listened as Howells gave a short safety-briefing before they hiked 50 yards to the first of two cliffs they would rappel down that day.

Brianna Wolfe, a senior marketing major from Springville, said it was her first time rappelling with a harness, but not her first time using a rope to get down a cliff.

Wolfe said she and her fiance, who writes a blog about southern Utah hiking, ran into a tight spot a couple of months ago while they were hiking.

“We were hiking in Cathedral Gorge and found this random rope we decided to trust, and that was pretty scary,” she said. “This time was more fun than scary because I knew I was harnessed and I wasn’t going to die.”

Brandon Jensen, a senior outdoor recreation in parks and tourism major from Gunnison with a wilderness first responder certification, went along with the group in case anyone hurt themselves during the rappel or the climb down the canyon.

“(The certification) is basically on par with an EMT certification,” Jensen said. “Luckily, I’ve never had to use it on one of these trips except for little cuts or blisters or sprained ankles.”

Jensen said he has spent a lot of time canyoneering and enjoys being outdoors.

“I go canyoneering when I can,” he said. “I am thinking of taking my degree in a medical direction and becoming a part of search and rescue.”

After the group completed their second rappel, which was longer than the first, the rest of the hike consisted mostly of shimmying down cracks and climbing sandstone walls, Jensen said.

Howells said canyoneering is probably the best way to see the outdoors, but it is also “the most awkward way to get through a canyon,” because much of the time is spent “stemming.”

Stemming is a process where the hiker presses their back against one side of the narrow canyon and braces their feet against the other while suspended over a drop, Howells said. The hiker scoots along the narrow canyon until they get close enough to the ground to jump without injury, he said.

“It’s a great way to keep from getting wet if there is water in the canyon,” Howells said.

There are some places where, water or not, stemming is the only way to get down a drop off, unless jumping 10 to 20 feet is appealing, he said.

Shortly after noon, the group took a lunch break, where they made a tiny friend, one of the canyon-dwelling caterpillars.

Brittney Worthen, a senior outdoor recreation in parks and tourism major from Midvale, said she gave the caterpillar part of her apple, which he seemed to enjoy almost too much.

“I’ve never seen a caterpillar so happy in all my life,” Worthen said.

After eating the apple, the caterpillar moved at super-speed, likely hopped up on all the sugar since it was only used to eating leaves, she said.

“And little did I know, it had diabetes ...” she joked.

Worthen said she takes every opportunity she can to get outdoors and go canyoneering or hiking and is even planning to start a veteran’s outdoor recreation program at SUU since she is a veteran.

Anyone interested in going on hikes or other outdoor activities can find sign-up sheets for many activities at the Harry Reid Outdoor Engagement Center. Students can also rent equipment for most outdoor activities at SUU Outdoors in the Sharwan Smith Center.

Comments

alikhann 4 months, 1 week ago

Camping is simplest way to experience a natural sight-seeing opportunities of Kenya. A lot of camps will be sited around private preservation areas, when walking plus night moves are established. In any safari, visitors are along with staff affiliates who help in various domains. Twitter

alikhann 4 months, 1 week ago

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.  xmas gifts

alikhann 4 months ago

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. www.nationaldebtreliefreviews.com

alexnewman 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Come up with a great deal more articles or reviews using this question an individual has a truly good option to make sure you strongly encourage writters. jobs in Lagos

alexnewman 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Your blog extremely good, premium job... Read countless could consider my family regardless if they never take the time to inform you of. does vitapulse work?

alexnewman 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blogs. garcinia cambogia prices

alikhann 3 months, 3 weeks ago

There are several dissertation internet sites on-line because you get evidently reported as part of your web site.  stock price alerts

alikhann 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you for the information and clarification about the identical houses. While I was reading the post I thought they might be haunted, but its nothing of that sort, thanks to your explanation organic total body reboot review

alikhann 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I appreciate your comments.  Instead of complaints, I feel you sounded realistic.  An enjoyable profession, that like any other, has it's stressful times purathrive organic turmeric extract review

GinaFletcher 3 months, 2 weeks ago

We have been in search of this kind of intriguing facts, get intriguing info at Locksmith Services Irvine intended for specialist providers.

alikhann 3 months, 1 week ago

That can job short-term, however , it’s no possible long-term choice meant for individuals who want to get the real key an individual exceptional girlfriend these can’t avoid wondering about. Pregnancy Strong

alikhann 3 months, 1 week ago

Checking any blog may make others just want to come up with a greater number of. I did a fabulous which i was first lovely content by means of. The software most likely conducted for the tier still it’s exceptional. http://bevhillsmdreviews.co/beverly-hills-md-crepe-correcting-body-complex-review

alikhann 3 months, 1 week ago

That can job short-term, however , it’s no possible long-term choice meant for individuals who want to get the real key an individual exceptional girlfriend these can’t avoid wondering about. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cogniflex-reviewed-healthy-nutritions-secret-195900546.html

leslielittle1 3 months, 1 week ago

henryvturner 6 days, 23 hours ago

Good content material is important intended for followers for getting captivated aimed at your website intended for fabulous content material, find some more below via Garage Door Queens Service.

henryvturner 6 days, 1 hour ago

Get some exciting as well as skilled solutions at Queens Garage Door Repair Experts.

orjani 5 days, 22 hours ago

Good publish. I was confirming consistently your weblog and I am impressed! Incredibly information especially the last part I deal with such details a lot Wicked Web Design

henryvturner 5 days, 18 hours ago

Get some intriguing and professional products and services at Garage Door Repair Company in Bronx.

henryvturner 4 days, 21 hours ago

We're good for almost all to express helpful things below this way, get some much more by Garage Door Repair in Bronx.

henryvturner 3 days, 23 hours ago

In search of several intriguing things, just do it the following through Garage Door Repair Staten Island.

LuckySeo 3 days, 11 hours ago

Pleasant online journal and totally exceptional. You can improve however despite everything I say this perfect.Keep striving generally advantageous. stanford pelage

terrytshick 2 days, 20 hours ago

I stumbled upon these records intriguing and valuable. Find some good intriguing providers from Miramar Garage Door Repair Experts with finest experts.

muneerahmed213 1 day, 13 hours ago

What do you need to know about the Gameboy Color console? It's has a full color screen, which makes the games that much better. Games include classics like Donkey Kong and many more games available online. https://freedom-apk.org

muneerahmed213 1 day, 13 hours ago

If you don't get excited about the Gameboy Color, check out the Gameboy Advance console. It takes the Gameboy to the next level, with close able screen and different button configuration. https://playbox-hd.net

terrytshick 23 hours, 9 minutes ago

I don't usually read but this is really nice, thanks, from Garage Door Hollywood.

terrytshick 1 hour, 21 minutes ago

I found these records intriguing and valuable. Get some intriguing products and services from Locksmith Millcreek having ideal authorities.